Monday, June 30, 2008

Executions Are Soo Back In Florida

No matter where you stand on the death penalty issue, the fact of the matter is Florida is set to end an 18-month hiatus from the lethal injection game on Tuesday.

The year and a half reprieve was due to a botched execution in February of last year. Angel Diaz was seen wincing in pain as a second lethal cocktail was needed to stop his heart. An investigation showed the IV needle had been pushed all the way through his vein. This case was pointed to, by those against the death penalty, as an example of why there is no perfect and humane way of ending a human's life.

Convicted murderer and rapist, Mark David Schwab, is set for execution for 6 p.m. In 1991 Schwab raped and murdered an 11-year-old girl.

It's amazing to me how concerned we are with the comfort of those set for execution. I mean I'm not really into the death penalty in general; I think a life in prison is probably enough for just about any crime, but it seems ridiculous to me that we decide we have the right as a society to choose to end someone's life, and then we turn around and act like we're really concerned with their solace at the end of the day.

It just seems disingenuous, and I for one would be a little put off by all the posturing if it were me who was condemned.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

they better serve me a steak and a blowjob before i walk the green mile. sadly, i'll probably just get a cockmeat sandwich, g-bay style.

Anonymous said...

lol!! to the above comment heez....

Nate said...

The point is that inhumane execution is tantamount to torture, the worst kind as it serves no broader goal or purpose. I don't mean to imply that there are better forms of torture, but you know what I mean.