Sunday, May 18, 2008

Boycott Sandwich Board-Using Establishments




I was driving down good ol' Newberry Road this afternoon when I saw something I just can't accept or reconcile with my core beliefs. There was a middle-aged man, looking incredibly miserable and put out, wearing a gigantic sandwich board advertising some bullshit mattress sale or something.

The traffic was heavy, the sun was hot and this poor gentleman was being humiliated. As an employer or member of management you can't make the executive decision to just put the damn sign in the ground? What is the thought process there? I can see some condescending prick of a manager saying, "Yeah Bob, I'm gonna need you to go ahead and put this sign on and go stand in traffic. Yeah I understand you're 45 years old. And yeah, I get it we could just stand the sign up. That's not the point. Are you committed to this team? I mean what the hell are we paying you $6.50 an hour for? In fact, you know what would be even better? Can you go ahead and smile a lot and, you know, kind of wave like an asshole as the cars go by? That'd be great."

I am tired of this fascism and I can't take it anymore. I say this; if there are people calling for us to not go to Beijing for the Olympics and exert our athletic dominance on the rest of the world because China may have some human rights issues, then I am officially calling for the boycott of any establishment utilizing the sandwich board. It's time to stop the humiliation and human rights violations at home.

No comments: